How I Finally Faced My Weight & Debt Problems

How I Finally Faced My Weight & Debt Problems


How I Finally Faced My Weight & Debt Problems

Posted: 05 Jun 2013 09:00 AM PDT

By Leo Babauta

There was a time when I was overweight, but didn't want to admit it to myself. I didn't feel in control of my health, because I couldn't quit smoking or eat healthier for longer than a few days, nor exercise regularly.

Thinking about my weight made me feel horrible, so I didn't want to even think about it.

Of course, not thinking about it meant I never did anything about it. Not facing my problems made it worse, which just made me feel worse. It was a downward spiral, and really hard to stop.

I had the same downward spiral when I was in debt (at the same time in my life, about 8 years ago). I couldn't pay all my bills, so I would stuff them in a drawer so I didn't have to see them. I had creditors calling me but I didn't answer their calls (I knew their numbers on the caller ID). I didn't know how much debt I was in because I never wanted to open the envelopes, much less add it all up on paper. I'd borrow money to pay bills, then owe more. And I'd skip paying lots of bills, and accrue interest.

It wasn't a smart way to manage my finances, but I couldn't stand the thought of facing all of it. I felt bad even thinking about my finances, so I'd avoid them, and think about other things. Of course, this led to me seeking distraction in food and entertainment and shopping, which led to worse debt.

Not facing my debt made it worse.

How did I overcome all of this? I'll share it here, in hopes that it will help others facing the same problem — or not facing it.

It's also important to note that if you know someone in bad health (or bad financial shape), they are probably also in denial. They don't want to even talk about it. How do you help them? I'll share that below too.

How I Finally Faced Things

So how do you face a problem, so you can work on it, when you don't want to face it?

There has to be a point when you say, "This isn't good. I need to do something about it."

In truth, there usually isn't just one point — there are many. It's a building problem, where you get many data points over time — you see yourself in a picture and don't like how heavy you look, you get a comment from someone that's less than flattering, your pants don't fit anymore, you breathe heavy when you try to run for a couple of minutes.

But then there has to be a point where you decide that enough is enough. You start to feel some resolve. You decide you can do something — it's not insurmountable.

How exactly I got to that point, I can't fully remember. But I do know that there were several things that helped me:

  • Inspiration: Seeing other people with similar situations who overcame the problem — in blogs and magazines, mainly.
  • Do-ability: I didn't think I could lose all the weight or overcome my huge mountain of debt in a day or a week … but having a small step I could actually do was mentally empowering. If I could do something in a day or two, that was doable. It felt like I could take control again.
  • Motivation: When I saw that my health problems were going to be an example for my kids, I knew I had to make a change. When I saw that my financial problems were hurting my family, I knew I had to make a change. In both cases, my motivation for change was bigger than myself — I was doing it to help people I cared about.
  • Commitment: When I was inspired by others to make a change, I took an easy step that's actually a very big step — I made a commitment. Making a commitment is actually very easy — you can tell a friend, a child, a spouse, or the world (via social media or email) that you're going to make a change. Commit not just to "losing weight" or "getting out of debt" but to something specific: "run 3x a week and cut out sweets" is better. So is "make a list of all my debts, then make a payment to the first one". Those are first steps … you can always "add more veggies" or "make a meal plan" after you get started. But making a commitment is an easy (if a bit scary) first step that will lock you in to further steps.

I have to admit that it wasn't as simple as making a decision to change, and then continually making progress with no discouragements. Not at all. I would try to make a change, slip up, feel bad, then start again. And again. And make adjustments each time, learning about myself in the process, and over time getting good at the skill of change.

But the first step — facing the problem — was made possible by inspiration, do-ability, motivation and finally commitment.

How to Get Others to Face Their Problems

I firmly believe that you can't force anyone to change. You can only inspire them to change, if you're lucky. That's not an easy task.

If you have a friend or family member who is struggling with health issues, or financial problems, or something similar where they don't want to face the problem … it's tough. They probably don't want to hear it from you.

However, that's not to say you should throw your hands up and forget about it. You can still help. Just don't try to force it.

Here's what I would suggest:

  1. Never attack — empathize. Never tell the person they're doing something wrong, or imply they're a bad or undisciplined or lazy person. Assume that they have the best of intentions, that they would change if they could, but they feel bad about it. Assume that you would feel the same if you were in their position — and try to remember a time when you felt that way. Don't be patronizing, nor "sympathize". That's condescending.
  2. Inspire. Set an example, and share what's working for you. Share stories of other people who have overcome problems.
  3. Suggest something do-able. And do it with them. If you want them to tackle health issues, suggest the two of you go walking after work every day. Just for 15 minutes (at first). It's a nice way to socialize and bond, but also get active. This is a small step that can be built upon — later you can walk further, or faster, and maybe add some jogging intervals to the walking after a few weeks or months (health permitting). You can also later do some diet challenges. But the key is to make the steps do-able, easy, and social.
  4. Offer to be an accountability buddy. If the other person admits to not being motivated, suggest that they commit to you, and be accountable to you (email you every day or every week to share progress or lack thereof). Suggest that they set a fun consequence (something embarrassing) if they don't live up to their commitment to you. Or do a challenge, where the two of you are doing something fun at the same time — a pushup challenge, a thousand-steps challenge, an eat-more-vegetables challenge.

Despite your best efforts, this might not work. You can't force change on someone. They have to want it themselves. And if they don't, you can make them want it. In that case, you'll have to back off, though showing concern and wanting to help is always something you can do.

Change is possible. Facing problems is totally possible. You just might need a little inspiration to do it.

Read More @ Source



Early Morning Buddhist Inspiration - 6/5/2013

Posted: 05 Jun 2013 07:00 AM PDT

"In order to be loved, we have to love, which means we have to understand."
 
~Thich Nhat Hanh


Bookmark and Share
Technorati Tags: Buddha Buddhist Buddhism Meditation Dharma
Read More @ Source



“May good qualities and happiness continue and increase”

Posted: 05 Jun 2013 12:00 AM PDT

100 Days of LovingkindnessYesterday I wrote about how mudita — joyful appreciation — can help us overcome our inherited tendency to pay more attention to the negative than to the positive.

This is important because in the karuna bhavana meditation (developing compassion) we're inherently focusing on things that are, for want of a better word, "wrong" in life. We're focusing on pain and suffering, and the difficult side of life, and this can feed in to our negativity bias. We can, in consciously cultivating compassion, end up over-emphasizing the suffering that's in the world. Now there's no shortage of suffering in the world, but it's not all that there is to existence. In any given day, much goes right. Sure, bad things happen, but so do good things as well. People do things that hurt others, but actually many more people do things that help others.

Mudita — joyful appreciation — helps remind us of all this.

With mudita we're focusing on the good and on the joy that comes from the good. We let the good in, and we bather our minds in it.

The Path of Liberation puts it this way:

When one sees or hears that some person's qualities are esteemed by others, and that he is at peace and is joyful, one thinks thus: "Sadhu! Sadhu! [Good! Good!] may he continue joyful for a long time!"

So it's not just any happiness that we're rejoicing in. When someone is gleeful because they've just pulled off a scam, this isn't the kind of quality that meant here as being "esteemed by others." It's the happiness that comes from the development and practice of skillful qualities that's meant.

In the practice of mudita bhavana we're generally rejoicing in skillful qualities and in the peace and happiness that come from those qualities. And we do so in a structured way.

  1. We begin with wishing ourselves well. This can be a simple practice of self-metta, or it could have more of a quality of frankly acknowledging our positive qualities and rejoicing in them. (Although I know this is tricky — even painful — for many people.) We can wish something like, "May my good qualities increase"; may my happiness continue and increase." The exact words don't matter too much, and you can change them to something else that's meaningful for you.
  2. We call to mind someone like the person just mentioned, whose qualities are esteemed by other and who has peace and joy. And we can repeat something like "May you continue to be skillful; may your happiness continue and increase." This leads, all going well, to a greater sense of "emotional elevation" which is accompanied by stimulation of the vagal nerve, and a sense of spreading liquid warmth around the heart.
  3. We call to mind a "neutral person," who is someone we don't regard as a friend and who we also don't have problems with; perhaps we just don't really know them. And although we don't know them, the gladness that we've developed in the first two stages can be transferred to this person. Everyone has positive qualities, so we can say "May you be skillful; may your happiness continue and increase."
  4. And then we can do the same for someone we have difficulties with. It's perhaps getting a little harder now, but if there's some emotional momentum to our mudita then this can be carried over even into our thoughts and feelings about people we're in conflict with. And even if there's not much overt emotion happening, that's fine: we can simply have the intention to wish this person well. This person has skillful qualities, like every other person. Or at least they have the capacity to develop skillful qualities. So once again we wish, "May you be skillful; may your happiness continue and increase."
  5. And I've written before about the final stage of these "immeasurable" meditations; in fact this is the point at which they become "immeasurable" or "boundariless" (which is how I would translate "appamaññā"). This is where we simply imbue our awareness with appreciation and joyfulness. Our mind is a field of awareness, and now instead of relating with appreciation one-to-one, we simply have an appreciative mind that meets beings with the wish, "May you be skillful; may your happiness continue and increase."

I'll be writing about each of these stages in various ways over the next few weeks, but this should give you plenty to be getting on with in terms of developing appreciative joy.

Read More @ Source



Inner speech: who am I talking to inside my head?

Posted: 04 Jun 2013 11:00 PM PDT

I talk to myself a lot. I'm doing that now.

I don't really know what I'm going to say in this blog post until a voice speaks inside my head. It seems to speak simultaneously with both my thinking and my typing -- inner speech, thought, and communication all happening together in some mysterious fashion.

This feels normal to me. And according to an article in this week's issue of New Scientist, "LIfe in the Chatter Box," most people do the same thing. Here's how the article starts out:

Our inner speech turns out to shape our thoughts and decisions in more ways than you might have imagined

IT CAN happen anywhere. I can be driving, walking by the river or sitting quietly in front of a blank screen. Sometimes suddenly, sometimes gradually and imperceptibly, I become conscious of words that no one else can hear, telling me things, guiding me, evaluating my actions. I am doing something perfectly ordinary – I am thinking– and it takes the form of a voice in my head.

If you ask people to reflect on their own stream of consciousness, they often describe experiences like this. Usually termed inner speech, it is also referred to as the inner voice, internal monologue or dialogue, or verbal thought. But although philosophers have long been interested in the relationship between language and thought, many believed that inner speech lay outside the realms of science.

That is now changing, with new experimental designs for encouraging it, interfering with it and neuroimaging it. We are beginning to understand how the experience is created in the brain; its subjective qualities – essentially, what the words "sound" like; and its role in processes such as self-control and self-awareness. The voice in our head is finally revealing its secrets, and it is just as powerful as you might have imagined.

Fascinating.

I looked around the Hearing the Voice web site referenced in the article, but came away disappointed. Mostly the project seems to be focused on inner voices related to schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Yet the author, Charles Fernyhough (director of Hearing the Voice), does a good job in his article of discussing the pros and cons of inner speech for those of us who seem to be mentally OK, more or less. I'd hoped to find more on the web site along these lines:

Quite how much our inner and outer speech overlap remains a matter of debate. According to one view, inner speech is just external speech without articulation: the brain plans an utterance, but stops short of kicking our muscles into action. If that is the case, our internal voice should resonate with the same qualities of tone, timbre and accent as our ordinary external speech.

There are some hints that this may be the case. In their lab at the University of Nottingham, UK, psychologists Ruth Filik and Emma Barber recently asked participants to read limericks silently in their heads. One was: There was a young runner from Bath, Who stumbled and fell on the path; She didn't get picked, As the coach was quite strict, So he gave the position to Kath.

The other limerick read: There was an old lady from Bath, Who waved to her son down the path; He opened the gates, And bumped into his mates, Who were Gerry, and Simon, and Garth.

Importantly, some of the participants had northern English accents, with short vowels (pronouncing "Bath" to rhyme with "Kath"), while the others had the long vowels of a southern accent ("Bath" rhyming with "Garth"). By tracking the volunteers' eye-movements, the researchers showed that reading was disrupted when the final word of the limerick did not rhyme in that volunteer's accent – when a southerner read "Bath" then "Kath", for instance.

Although this study suggests that inner speech does indeed have an accent – and presumably other qualities of our spoken voice – one concern is that the inner speech we produce when reading is not necessarily the same thing as our everyday, spontaneous inner speech, which means that more naturalistic studies are needed.

So much for the subjective qualities of inner speech. What, if anything, does it actually do? Vygotsky proposed that words in inner speech function as psychological tools that transform the task in question, just as the use of a screwdriver transforms the task of assembling a shed. Putting our thoughts into words gives them a more tangible form which makes them easier to use. It may also be that verbal thought can allow communication between other cognitive systems, effectively providing a common language for the brain.

One of Vygotsky's most enticing predictions was that private and inner speech give us a way of taking control of our own behaviour, by using words to direct our actions. While driving up to a roundabout in busy traffic, for example, I'll still tell myself, "Give way to the right", especially if I've just been driving overseas. Knocking out the systems responsible for inner speech should therefore impede our performance on certain tasks that require planning and control, offering a powerful test of the hypothesis.

For many years I was an avid mantra meditator. Meaning, I repeated a mantra both during an hour or two of morning meditation, and also during the rest of the day as much as I could. 

The basic underlying hypothesis, though not exactly expressed as such, was that speaking less to myself with my inner voice was better than speaking more to myself -- the whole "monkey mind" thing. However, experiments have shown that inner speech enables us to do some things better.

Not surprising, really.

Such experiments typically require participants to repeat a word to themselves out loud to suppress their verbal thoughts while they perform a task (a technique known as articulatory suppression). Using this set-up, Jane Lidstone, one of my colleagues at Durham University, looked at the performance of children aged 7 to 10 on a planning task known as the Tower of London, which involves moving coloured balls around between three sticks of differing lengths in order to match a given pattern.

Lidstone found that children performed worse if they had to repeat a word out loud, compared with trials in which they instead tapped repetitively with one of their feet. Similar findings have emerged from studies with adults. Alexa Tullett and Michael Inzlicht of the University of Toronto in Canada gave student participants aclassic test of control known as the Go/No-Go task, which required them to press a button the moment they saw a yellow square pop up on the screen, but to remain still when they saw a purple square. It is a considerable test of impulse control, and, as predicted, the students were less accurate during articulatory suppression, compared with when they were doing a spatial task.

Although experiments like these seem artificial, they allow researchers the kind of control over conditions that good science demands to test something like self-control.

So we know that inner speech has a role in regulating behaviour, but could it also have a role in motivating it? The research on children's private speech (Vygotsky's precursor of inner speech, remember) shows that it frequently has an emotional or motivational flavour. Athletes often give themselves pep talks before, during and after performances. In our study of the quality of inner speech, McCarthy-Jones and I found that two-thirds of students reported using internal speech that either evaluated their behaviour or served to motivate it.

Inner speech may even help us to become aware of who we are as individuals. Some philosophers have proposed that awareness of inner speech is important for understanding our own mental processes, an aspect of what psychologists call metacognition.

Children typically do not become aware of their own inner speech until around age 4, although it is uncertain whether that reflects their inability to reflect on their own thought processes, or the fact that inner speech is not yet fully internalised by that age.

At Mount Royal University in Calgary, Canada, psychologist Alain Morin has found that people who use inner speech more often show better self-understanding. "Inner speech allows us to verbally analyse our emotions, motives, thoughts and behavioural patterns," he says. "It puts to the forefront of consciousness what would otherwise remain mostly subconscious."

In my current churchless frame of mind I'm considerably less concerned about shutting up my inner speech via a mantra or some other means.

The New Scientist article provided some reasons for being skeptical about the oft-heard meditative claim that a silent mind is a wise mind. Sometimes, it seems. Sometimes not. It all depends.

Inner speech must be good for something, or many things. Otherwise us humans wouldn't have evolved to have it.

Read More @ Source



Cutting through spiritual materialism

Posted: 04 Jun 2013 10:01 PM PDT

Cutting through spiritual materialism necessarily has to begin with a clearcut distinction between true spirituality and pseudo-spirituality. This is to further say that there is a false form of spirituality that works to keep the average beginner from discovering spirituality.

But who has the wisdom to distinguish between authentic spirituality and spiritual materialism?  We might end up with a situation of the blind leading the blind which further might engender the worst kind of spiritual materialism.  But, in a way, this has already happened to some extent  

The Buddhist temple we attend might resemble a museum of Asian religious artifacts.  Everyone gets to wear robes and learn various rituals.  It is a kind of religious theatre.  We all get to be actors.  Our Zen center is the stage.  Our teacher and the staff help us with our problems, for example, how to cope with our depression or a roommate who is irresponsible or our lover that we believe is cheating on us.  Is this spirituality?  No, it is not.  It is spiritual materialism.  All this is in service to Mara the Evil One who represents our temporal, psychophysical body, including our culture of materialism.  Behaving this way will never lead us to nirvana or to the necessary insight into the luminous Mind.

We need to remind ourselves that the young Siddhartha renounced the material world as being the highest reality.  It cannot end our suffering.  It is only capable of deluding us into believing that pleasure somehow is capable of rubbing out suffering.  But it never does.  The history of mankind paints a rather dismal picture of mankind's efforts to end suffering by way of pleasure.  This is because of our addiction to materialism and pseudo-spirituality which makes sure that real spirituality is kept in the wilderness, so to speak, away from public consciousness.

If Buddhism is going to thrive in the West, there needs to be a preliminary path, a path that helps us to break our addiction to spiritual materialism thus helping us to move closer to where Siddhartha was when he decided to leave his father's kingdom.

Read More @ Source



Popular posts from this blog

Red Wine Reduced Breast Cancer Cells

Spiritual Quantum Physics and Insanity

Get Married, Live Longer?