The Orgasm Gap: Are Women Faking It?

Remember the famous scene fromWhen Harry Met Sally? Harry swears that all his girlfriends are having O-O-Orgasms during sex and Sally questions his bravado. She wonders how hes so sure his girlfriends arent just faking it. He insists he would know. Sally then delivers an orgasmic performance that made cinematic history.

Oh oh- oh yeah, baby.

Turns out Sally knew what she was talking about, and way more women fake it than you may think. A survey of almost 6,000 people published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine found that 85% of dudes said their partners climaxed during their most recent sex act. But psych only 64% of women reported that they actually got off. Whats with that?
Why The Orgasm Gap?
Why does this happen? Why are we women giving our partners false encouragement? How many guys do you know who pretend to get off to please a partner? I dont think so. No if a guy needs more stimulation, hes likely to tell you so (well, and its likely to be obvious, of course.)
But what about us? Are we so accustomed to pleasing others that were not taking responsibility for our own needs? Or is it something else? Are we so tired from doing the dishes, doing the laundry, and doing our lover that wed just rather get some shut-eye than take the time to get truly turned on?
Whats Up Down There?
When I was on my book tour forWhats Up Down There? Questions Youd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend, I fielded anonymous Q&A for women all over the country, and you wouldnt believe how many of the questions were about orgasm!
Here a! re some examples:
  • What does an orgasm feel like?
  • How do I know if Ive had an orgasm?
  • My boyfriend is bummed if I dont look like Im having fun, but sex hurts me. What should I do?
  • I dont really know what I like in bed. How can I find out?
What this tells me is that many of us honestly dont know what gives us pleasure. Many of us dont even know what an orgasm IS! And yet we feel pressure from our partners who want to please us perhaps partly because they really care and maybe in part because it boosts their ego. So what do we do? Apparently, many of us do what Sally did. And most guys cant tell the difference.

Popular posts from this blog

Red Wine Reduced Breast Cancer Cells

Spiritual Quantum Physics and Insanity

Get Married, Live Longer?