Remembering 9/11: 8 Things Im Recommitting To

By Karen Fabian, MindBodyGreen

With the 10th anniversary of September 11th upon us, I find myself getting emotional every time I hear one of the stories associated with that day. Although born in the Bronx, I moved to New Jersey as a child and then in college years, to Boston, where Ive stayed ever since. Despite my Boston home, I hold a special fondness for all things related to the Greatest City on Earth, especially my trips to the Bronx Zoo as a child and shows I took in on Broadway.

I watched an interview this week with Lauren Manning on The Today Show. I heard her speak about the events of 9/11 from her perspective, as she headed to her office on the 105th floor of the World Trade Center and how she was immediately met by flames so fierce, she was burned on over 80 percent of her body. I was struck by the simplicity of her thoughts as she talked about the lessons shed learned from the day. They werent complicated thoughts about why me or complex plans for her future. They were simple, essential, clear nuggets of wisdom from a woman who had almost lost everything in an instant and afterward, learned how to move forward and live life focusing on that which is most important to her: health, family and peace in her heart, regardless of living with the lasting physical and emotional scars that are inevitable after such a horrific event.

As often happens after an event like this, we take stock of where were at and we try to make changes in our own lives that will allow us to focus more on what really matters and stop stressing over little things that arent that important. As many of these life-changing events often are the result of political, social, econo! mic and cultural forces, the post-event analysis can often be filled with complex discussion about things that need to change on a global, national and local level. But as I read the stories of 9/11, spend time teaching and practicing yoga and pushing myself towards living a healthy life, Im continually struck by how effective the most simple things can be towards improving your wellness. I see this even in my yoga teaching with children; they find rest and stillness after only a few yoga-inspired games and poses.

So, while these wellness tips might not all be inspired by 9/11, its on the anniversary that I find myself re-committing to some basic things to improve my own health and wellness and increase my overall happiness. Maybe youll find some of these things useful:


Popular posts from this blog

Red Wine Reduced Breast Cancer Cells

Spiritual Quantum Physics and Insanity

Get Married, Live Longer?